Sunday, August 17, 2008

[Updated] Cisco VPN Client under Linux

I wrote a article(search it in my blog) about how to do cisco VPN client under linux to CSE@CUHK.
However, later I found that my system will freeze(maybe kernel panic) under some uncertain conditions,
e.g. use remote desktop client to connect my PC at office.

Finally, I found the cause in this page:
http://forum.tuxx-home.at/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=457&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15

To conclude, the problem will appear if you are using a intel core 2 duo(might as well as some other multicore processors)
To continue, you will have to disable other cores, left only one working, this can be done via many ways.
However, the most convenient one should be disable them during runtime.

Solution can be found in the web page mentioned just now: use a wrapper script to turn off other cores before start VPN connection,
and turn on other cores when the connection is closed.

Also, here is a new version of cisco vpn client, the version is 4.8.02.0030, no need to patch it under 32bit environment, however, patch is still needed if your system is 64bit.

No comments: